Whether you are just a beginner or looking to improve your form, we have instructors that can help you reach your goals. Campus Recreation Services offers swimming lessons to the University Community. These lessons cater to adult non-swimmers, through advanced swimmers. We also offer youth lessons for all ages. (YOU MUST BE A VALID MEMBER OF THE STUDENT LIFE CENTER TO SIGN UP) Please check out our membership page before signing up. Non-Students or Non-Members are not eligible for lessons. Children of main member will also need a membership. Except Children 4 and under which are now FREE. Please call 581-8513 or email email@example.com for more information. Registration for Fall 2018 is now open. Classes begin August 21. Register here. Refunds will not be offered after September 11. No classes on University Holidays.
|Semester Session August 21 - December 5||Day||Time||Instructor||Cost|
|Fitness Swimming (8/21 (Free Week), 8/28, 9/4, 9/11, 9/18, 9/25, 10/2, 10/9, 10/23, 10/30, 11/6, 11/13, 11/27, 12/4)||Tuesday||6:30 - 7:20 pm||Sierra||$45|
|Fitness Swimming (8/22 (Free Week), 8/29, 9/5, 9/12, 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, 10/17, 10/24, 10/31, 11/7, 11/14, 11/27, 12/5)||Wednesday||6:10 - 7:00pm||Sierra||$45|
|Adult Advanced (9/4, 9/11, 9/18, 9/25, 10/2, 10/16, 10/23, 10/30, 11/6, 11/13, 11/27, 12/4)||Tuesday||5:30 - 6:15 pm||Will||$60|
|Adult Advanced (9/5, 9/12, 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, 10/17, 10/24, 10/31, 11/8, 11/14, 11/28, 12/5)||Wednesday||5:30 - 6:15 pm||Belle||$60|
|Adult Advanced (9/8, 9/15, 9/22, 9/29,10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8)||Saturday||10:15 - 11:00am||Lauren||$55|
|Adult Beginner (9/6, 9/13, 9/20, 9/27, 10/4, 10/18, 10/25, 11/1, 11/8, 11/15, 11/29, 12/6)||Thursday||5:30 - 6:15 pm||Belle||$60|
|Adult Intermediate (9/8, 9/14, 9/22, 9/29,10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17, 11/31, 12/8)||Saturday||11:15 - 12:00pm||Lauren||$55|
|Adult Intermediate (9/6, 9/12, 9/20, 9/27, 10/4, 10/18, 10/25, 11/1, 11/8, 11/15, 11/29, 12/6)||Thursday||6:30 - 7:15pm||Owain||$55|
|Parent & Child (9/8, 9/15, 9/22, 9/29,10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8)||Saturday||10:15 - 10:45am||Fabian||$55|
|Youth Level 1 (9/8, 9/15, 9/22, 9/29,10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8)||Saturday||10:15 - 10:45am||Maggie||$50|
|Youth Level 2 (9/7, 9/14, 9/21, 9/28,10/19, 10/26, 11/2, 11/9, 11/16, 11/30, 12/7)||Friday||5:30 - 6:00pm||Belle||$50|
|Youth Level 2 (9/8, 9/15, 9/22, 9/29,10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8)||Saturday||10:15 - 10:45am||Kristen||$50|
|Youth Level 3 (9/8, 9/15, 9/22, 9/29,10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8)||Saturday||11:00 - 11:30am||Kristen/Maggie||$50|
|Youth Level 4 (9/8, 9/15, 9/22, 9/29,10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8)||Saturday||11:10 - 11:40am||Fabian||$50|
Beginner: Our beginner level is for non-swimmers and those new to swimming desiring to gain confidence and comfort in the water. If you cannot swim 25 meters without stopping this is the level for you.
Intermediate: Our intermediate level is for swimmers who can swim 25 meters freestyle, and are familiar with the backstroke. In this level additional strokes will be introduced and you will continue to work on improving your freestyle and backstroke technique.
Advanced: Our Advanced level is for those who can swim 25 meters freestyle, backstroke, and breaststroke. In this level you will gain a general knowledge of all four strokes. Additionally, you will work on your stroke technique and swimming greater distances.
Fitness Swimming: This class is a great addition to your workout routine and can help you achieve your desired fitness goals. This program is great for those that are looking to change up their workout routine, challenge themselves in a different environment, cross train, prepare for a triathlon or other competition, and more! Each workout is tailored to strengths, weaknesses and general goals of the Fitness Swimming participants and can be further tailored to each participants goals. There are no prerequisites, however, all Fitness Swimming participant’s should be able to swim 50 yards freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, be familiar with the butterfly, and be able to tread in deep water for at least 1 minute.
Youth Level 1: In Level 1—Introduction to Water Skills, your child is introduced to basic skills as the foundation for future skills and the development of water competency (the basic minimum skills needed for water safety). Certain milestones are necessary for successful completion of Level 1, including:
- Entering the water independently using the ramp, steps or side.
- Traveling at least 5 yards, bobbing 5 times and then safely exiting the water.
- Opening eyes underwater and retrieving submerged object.
- Gliding on front with assistance at least 2 body lengths.
- Rolling to a back float for 5 seconds with assistance.
- Recovering to a vertical position with assistance.
- Combined arm and leg actions on front and back with assistance.
- Alternating and simultaneous arm and leg actions on front and back with assistance.
It is common for children to participate in several sessions of Level 1 before they successfully demonstrate each skill. That is okay! It is not important how quickly they move through a level, but that they acquire each skill.
Youth Level 2: Level 2—Fundamental Aquatic Skills builds on skills learned in Level 1. Your child begins to perform skills at a slightly more advanced level and begins gaining rudimentary propulsive skills on both the front and the back. This level marks the beginning of independent aquatic locomotion skills. Some of the milestones that are necessary for successful completion of Level 2 include:
- Stepping from the side into chest-deep water.
- Fully submerging and holding breath.
- Pushing off the bottom, moving into a treading or floating position for at least 15 seconds, swimming on front and/ or back for 5 body lengths and then exiting the water.
- Moving into a back float for 15 seconds, rolling to front and then recovering to a vertical position.
- Pushing off and swimming using combined arm and leg actions on front for 5 body lengths, rolling to back, floating for 15 seconds, rolling to the front and then continue swimming for 5 body lengths.
Youth Level 3: Learn-to-Swim Level 3, our instructors follow a plan to introduce new swimming and water safety skills and to build on previously learned skills. Some of the milestones in Level 3—Stroke Development include:
- Flutter, scissors, breaststroke and dolphin kicks.
- Jumping into deep water from the side, recovering to the surface, maintaining position by treading or floating for 1 minute, rotating a full turn and then turning as necessary to orient to the exit point.
- Swimming the front crawl and/or elementary backstroke for 25 yards and then exiting the water.
- Pushing off in a streamlined position, swimming the front crawl for 15 yards, changing position and direction, swimming the elementary backstroke for 15 yards and then exiting the water.
Youth Level 4: In Learn-to-Swim Level 4, our instructors follow a plan to introduce new swimming and water safety skills and to build on previously learned skills, improving the swimming stroke proficiency and swimming for longer distances. Some of the milestones in Level 4—Stroke Improvement include:
- Swimming the front crawl for 25 yards.
- Swimming the elementary backstroke for 25 yards.
- Swimming the breaststroke for 15 yards.
- Swimming the butterfly for 15 yards.
- Swimming the back crawl for 15 yards.
- Swimming the sidestroke for 15 yards.
- Headfirst entry* from a stride position (*only if the water is at least 9-feet deep).
- Open turns on the front and back.
What to expect at your first lesson.
Please be on the pool deck ready to get in the water at your lesson start time. You will most likely want a pair of goggles for the class, which can be purchased at the Gear Central desk. Swim caps are optional, and can also be purchased at the desk.